Advertise On Buki's Blog

Advertise On Buki's Blog
Contact: bukiotuyemi@gmail.com

Monday 30 June 2014

Monday, Lagos, Money (MLM)



The post below is written by a dear friend and runaway-blogger-to-be of mine. I had a good laugh reading it. This is her baptism into writing (hehehe). Enjoy.




As a kid growing up in a much saner Lagos then, (please don't ask when so you won't guess my age 😉), I was usually amused when I heard that great legend's song,

"Ojo Monday Eko o ni gbagba ku gba o." - Fela

Meaning on Mondays, Lagos city takes no shit (excuse my French) from anybody. It is presumed serious business starts on Monday. Some even believe whatever you start the week with ends your week. 



I used to know of one middle aged woman still in my younger days, who operated a buka in our hood back then. We were told she doesn't sell to the female gender on  Monday mornings if this customer is her first for the day. If she did sell, she will ask the female customer to give the money to a man, boy or even an infant as long as he had a 'third leg', to give to her instead. She believed if she sold to a female first thing on Monday mornings then business will be dull throughout the week. Curiosity got the better of me and I did try her out one day to ascertain the veracity of this claim. So came one early morning, plate in hand, mummy out of sight, I dashed down the road to buy rice and beans that I did not need. The mischievous child that I was (hehehe). I was lucky. I was her first customer. She said so herself. I was beyond stunned when she told me to call a young man nearby to take the money from me to give her instead. O.O 

Needless to say I got the beating of my life when I got home. What we call way back in life, "maximum shishi" 😓😞

Reports also abound of how crazy traffic usually is in this part of the Niger area (yes this is how Nigeria was coined, just incase you didn't know 😊) on Monday mornings. Leaving me to wonder, do more people go to work on Mondays then play truants the rest of the week?



What exactly is the boosheet Lagos does not take on Mondays like the Abami Eda (Fela) himself sang?  What exactly is it about Monday, Lagos and Money (with money here representing a whole lot like business, traffic and myths)? What other myths have you heard or do you even believe in per chance, about Lagos and Mondays. Do share 😊

Article by: Toyin Femi-Akinlade (@y_toyin)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are feedback, so please bring them on. :) #Learning #Living