Advertise On Buki's Blog

Advertise On Buki's Blog
Contact: bukiotuyemi@gmail.com

Tuesday 11 November 2014

When The Abnormal Becomes Normal......



Yesterday morning I woke up to the news of the demise of  Dr. Myles Munroe, a renowned preacher, and his wife and possibly daughter as a result or a tragic plane crash. Even though it seemed the entire country knew who this man of God was, I had absolutely no clue who he was. I had never heard of him prior but it didn't make the sting from his horrific death any less painful. I was quite taken aback to see that quite a number of people on my list felt "hit" by this tragic loss and had his and his wife's pictures on display all day.

Several hours later, I learnt about the devastating blow which Boko Haram dealt Nigerians by bombing a secondary school in Yobe during an assembly session on a Monday. I went to a boarding school and I know how packed and important Monday morning assemblies usually are, so for someone to have targeted such an assembly is just the height of wickedness and disregard for human lives. I mentioned the news of the bombing to a couple of people and their blasé respond made me withdraw further into myself. I checked my bbm list and there wasn't ONE single mention about the bombing.

How have we come to this point where the extremely abnormal things gets accepted as normal and everyone carries on like nothing happened? Even worse for me is the fact that despite the tragic calamity that befell the nation yesterday, our dear president went ahead to hold a rally of some sort declaring for reelection TODAY. Clearly, our priorities and sensitivity to tragedy are heavily misplaced and flawed. The whole country should be in mourning over the horrific loss of these boys but alas, we are carrying on as usual. I've been trying not to imagine the agony of the parents, teachers and classmates of the deceased children.

Which way, Nigerians? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are feedback, so please bring them on. :) #Learning #Living