Advertise On Buki's Blog

Advertise On Buki's Blog
Contact: bukiotuyemi@gmail.com

Monday 10 October 2016

Where Then, Is Safe In Nigeria?



Last week, when news broke about the kidnapping of a principal, a teacher and some students of Lagos State Model College Igbonla, Epe, I went numb with shock. 

You see, this school was home for me for about five years as I went to boarding house there. My body shivered as I imagined the trauma and ordeal of the students, who were suddenly besieged by armed bandits while having their early morning assembly gathering. I imagined them trying to figure out where and how best to avoid the gunshots ringing around them and wondering where best they would have thought to hide from the wrath of the crooks or from their bullets, as they fled shelter skelter.

It is a crying shame that kidnappings are now the order of the day here in Lagos State and in Nigeria as a whole. It's rather painful and disappointing knowing that we are not secure in our homes and our kids aren't secure at school. I cannot bear the thought of the level of anguish the parents and families of the students, principal and teacher must be passing through. Not so long ago, my hubby's uncle and his son were kidnapped and it was one of the most traumatising things I've ever had to go through. I wouldn't wish such an ordeal on anyone. The feeling of helplessness and lack of assurance that they would return alive really messed up my mind and head. Thankfully, we got them back safe and sound after three harrowing days.

I guess the only thing to do now is to pray for the safe arrival of these innocent people whose only crimes are of being citizens of a country where poverty has driven people to madness and cruel acts.

Join me as we #PrayForLASMOCOLEpe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are feedback, so please bring them on. :) #Learning #Living